Thursday, October 25, 2007

Off to England

Okay, so if there's one thing you should've learned about me by now - it's that I'm terrible at updating this blog. Sorry. I'm heading off to London later today for a 4 day trip, and will be back on Monday with pictures to share (although when they'll actually make it up here is still to be determined. I'm through assuring you that I'll update this blog tomorrow, or the next day, etc. because it seems I'm not very good at following through.)

Just to keep you all updated on the past week and change:

This past Friday (Oct 19) we went to Kilmainham Gaol (which I have pictures of and will post when I post the London pictures) and the Irish Museum of Modern Art (which was free, thank science, because I hate modern art. I just got dragged along). Kilmainham, if you weren't aware, was the prison in which the Easter Rising establishers were held and then later executed - it was really cool.

Saturday (Oct 20) was the final game of the rugby world cup. It was England vs. South Africa, and as I'm sure you can imagine - most of Ireland was cheering for South Africa. And not in vain either, because they won! We went to a sports bar called the Woolshed to watch the game. It was a huge place and they projected the game up onto the wall, not to mention there were TVs every 15 feet showing it. We all had a great time and enjoyed some crazy antics.

Alice Cronin, who works for Stonehill's study abroad program and is responsible for actually getting me over here to Ireland, came to visit us this past weekend. She took us all out for dinner on Monday night at an Italian place in Temple Bar. Then on Tuesday, Rebecca Woolf and Tom Kelley (the two EUSA people who got me my job, teach the class I'm taking, and make sure I dont die in Ireland) took myself, Alice Cronin, and Chris McCann (my boss) out to lunch. The purpose behind it was for EUSA to show Mrs. Cronin that they're doing a good job getting the kids involving job placements. I guess I have a good internship seeing as they go for my job and my boss to try and show off what they're up to. We went to probably the fanciest restaurant I've ever been to, at any rate. I felt a tad out of place as my fancy restaurant etiquette is a bit undeveloped, but the food was delicious and it got me out of 2 hours of work - which is always nice.

On Tuesday, after work, I went to see a play at the Abbey Theater called "Playboy of the Western World". It's an older play, and somewhat famous in Irish theater I guess, but this one was a remake in modern times. It was a great play, and very funny. I probably laughed more than I do at most comedic movies. And while being funny, it still made some strong points. Again, great play. I enjoyed it quite a bit (and I'm not even into theater!)

Later today I'm off to London. I don't know what we're going to be up to, but ofcourse - I shall update upon my return with stories.

No comments: